Parenting is hard work, with battles and heartaches over friends – homework – clothing – how to treat others – social media… the list can go on and on.
As a follower of Christ, there is a peace that my husband and I have when parenting because we can trust God to lead and direct us, as well as Him doing the same for our children because they too are His followers. We regularly pray that God will use them in mighty ways and that He will give them a sense of belonging to His eternal family. This is a hope and a prayer for most Christian parents and God has seen fit to answer that prayer very visibly through the Daughters of WOW (DOW).
He has shown us that even though they are young, the DOW are strong and inspiring. But even greater than that, is how God has spoken to the hearts of each of these girls. This is not a mission that they partake in because their moms or grandmas do. They each have felt God’s direction and leading for their own lives and are committed to Isaiah 1:17 – “Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.”
The Daughters of WOW have expanded their personal calls from reaching the kids in their classrooms and neighborhoods, to showing love to the poor and oppressed both locally and globally.
Here’s what some of them had to say about being a part of DOW:
What’s the first word that comes to mind when you think about WOW?
- Hannah – Hard work.
- Dani – Purses.
- Emily – Fun!
How do you see God’s hand at work in DOW and WOW as a whole?
- Hannah – I see His hand moving in myself especially, but in the younger girls too. I’m asking myself, ‘How do I serve people and how do I serve God? How do I apply this to my life overall?’ It’s been really wild.
- Dani – He is giving us the courage to care for others.
- Haylee – I can see God in the money raising – I never thought that we could raise that much!
Why do you like being a part of DOW?
- Hannah – I like the community of girls. We raise money for good causes and it’s fun leading and helping the younger girls. It’s good for my personal faith too – seeing what good I can do and how God has blessed me through it.
- Haylee – I like getting to know the girls and getting closer to everybody. And I really like to show others what God is doing.
- Emily – I like working with the girls and with my mom. WOW is always doing such creative things and I like using my artsy talents for DOW. Plus it’s been amazing to see all the help we’ve been able to give to the people in Mozambique, Cambodia and to Rahab.
The Daughters of WOW have fun serving alongside each other, but obviously it goes beyond that. God is using these girls to further the gospel and refining them into beautiful young women. They are the next generation of WOW and we cannot wait to see what God has in store for them!